Learn to love and respect nature by taking nature hikes, and earn the Map and Compass belt loop and Naturalist pin. The nature program is filled with lots of fun activities such as bottle rockets, making homemade ice cream in the woods, and much much more.
Key Program Features:
Key Program Features:
- Bottle Rockets
- Ice Cream
- Nature Hikes
- Fun Games
Scouts in Action (Natures Wonders)
Do you have pictures from Nature Camp we would love to share them!
Belt Loop - Map & Compass (Cub Scouts & Webelos*)
1. Show how to orient a map. Find three landmarks on the map.
2. Explain how a compass works.
3. Draw a map of your neighborhood. Label the streets and plot the route you take to get to a place that you often visit.
Activity Pin - Naturalist (Webelos Only)
1. With your parent, guardian, or Webelos den leader,
a. Know: Tell what interested you most when completing the requirements for this activity badge. Tell what you learned about how you can show appreciation
and respect for wildlife.
b. Commit: Tell things that some people have done that show a lack of respect for wildlife Name ways that you will show respect for and protect wildlife.
c. Practice: Explain how completing the requirements for this activity badge give you the opportunity to show respect.
2. Learn about the bird flyways closest to your home. Find out which birds use these flyways.
3. Learn to identify poisonous plants and venomous reptiles found in your area.
4. Watch six wild animals (snakes, turtles, fish, birds, or mammals) in the wild. Describe the kind of place (forest, field, marsh, yard, or park) where you saw
them. Tell what they were doing.
5. Give examples of:
a. A producer, a consumer, and a decomposer in the food chain of an ecosystem.
b. One way humans have changed the balance of nature
c. How you can help protect the balance of nature
d. Identify a plant, bird, or wild animal that is found only in your area of the country. Tell why it survives only in your area.
6. Learn about aquatic ecosystems and wetlands in your area. Discuss the important role aquatic ecosystems and wetlands play in supporting lifecycles of wildlife and humans.
*Webelos may earn depending on time, Theme Leader will decide if Webelos will earn belt loop.
What You Need Before Camp
Each pack should have at least one copy printed and brought to camp. It is the pack leader's responsibility to read and inform the rest of the pack of important details included in the leader guides.